Sunday 19 June 2016

Chemotherapy

It's been a while since my last blog post,so thought I'd update on how things are. Well I had the port put in my chest a few days before Christmas then chemo started the day after I felt OK with it until Christmas Day I was unwell I struggled on until 4pm then I went to bed. Before I knew it it was chemo day again after a few more doses it was my skin that suffered my fingers & toes they became terribly sore, it was decided chemo would be put on hold until they improved and I was given creams,I then got an infection in both my big toes I went to my GP and was given antibiotics but the day after I got worse so Chris took me to hospital where I was given iv antibiotics luckily it was a short stay as I began to feel better but had to return the day after for an ultrasound of my leg to check for blood clots,luckily no clots...phew!
As my skin got better I started chemo again,it was decided to lower the dose by 50%,then it was the dreaded scan day and the wait for results it was chemo day when we got the results,a mixed picture in that there are some areas that have improved and others that look stable but certainly there is no evidence of progression,we were very happy with that as we were told the 20% chance that the chemo would work so the plan is to increase the dose to 75% and carry on.
Then came along another problem a leg ulcer and a nasty one at that,once again chemo was on hold while I had a week of antibiotics it seemed to improve,chemo carried on again! I was visiting my nurse at gp surgery twice a week for it cleaning,I wasn't getting anywhere once again I was back on antibiotics they didn't help much. My oncologist asked what do we do carry on with chemo when we know it's working or stop chemo and get the leg better as the chemo was slowing down the healing,without any doubt in my mind it was carry on with chemo. After 7 long weeks my leg was no better,I finally got referred to the limb clinic where they did a Doppler test,now my leg is wrapped with a 3 layer compression bandage it's still not looking good and also discovered a deep cut on my heel so that's getting cleaned & dressed too. I'm back at the district nurse in the morning for them cleaning & fresh dressing and that will continue for twice a week not sure how long for I seem to be getting nowhere fast. Chemotherapy Wednesday think this one will be number 15. 4th July is dreaded scan day again & results on the 19th July,fingers crossed  treatment will still be working and I'm hoping for a break so we can get away on holiday in August. Will keep you posted on the results of the scan. Thank you for your continued support.
Julie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment